The town of Roudnice nad Labem is situated on the left bank of the Elbe River in the fertile Polabska Lowland and has approximately 13,000 inhabitants.
The history of the town is very rich. It is one of the oldest Czech towns. The first mentions date back to the second half of the 12th century. Bishop John IV of Dražice helped the town to flourish in the first half of the 14th century by founding a monastery for the new order of Augustinian canons. In 1603 the Lobkowicz family took over the Roudnice estate. Since the end of the 19th century, Roudnice nad Labem has been transformed into a modern town, which has always been an important cultural, social and economic centre of the Podřipsko region. Its location in the flat terrain near the Elbe River allowed the establishment of sports clubs that are still active today.
Among the important tourist sights in the town are the Lobkowicz castle and the Romanesque castle, the Hláska tower and Kratochvíl's lookout tower. The town is also the starting point for a trip to the mythical Mount Říp. For more information about hiking opportunities and interesting events in Roudnice nad Labem and its surroundings, visit www.vyletnarip.cz.