At the end of the 12th century, the Bishop of Prague had a Romanesque castle built on a rocky promontory above the Elbe River. It was expanded in the Gothic period. In the 16th century a Renaissance wing was added and later the whole complex was expanded.
In 1652-1684, during the reign of Václav Eusebius of Lobkowicz, the castle complex was rebuilt in an early Baroque form, which has been preserved to this day. The castle consists of four wings around a spacious courtyard and the southern (entrance) side is divided by a massive tower. For many years the castle was the centre of the prosperous Lobkowicz estate. Since World War II it served as a barracks for the German and later Czech army. Until 2008, it housed a military music school. Nowadays, the castle belongs to the Lobkowicz family again and tours of part of the castle and the original Romanesque castle are available.
Open from 10.00 to 17.00 - weekends only
Tours - 10.00, 11.00, 12.00, 13.00, 14.00, 15.00 and 16.00
Open from 10.00 to 17.00 - Tuesday to Sunday
Tours - 10.00, 11.00, 12.00, 13.00, 14.00, 15.00, 16.00
Open from 11.00 to 15.00 - weekends only
Tours - 11.00, 12.00, 13.00, 14.00 and 15.00
The castle garden is closed.
Tours - 11.00 and 14.00 - weekends only
The figures below are current as of 5 March 2020
The tour circuit is restricted or closed on the days indicated.
The ticket office for the castle tour can be found in the new information centre (Arnoštova 88). Ticket office and entrance.
If you are interested, you can book individual tours outside of these dates.
From October to April, bookings for tours outside these times are only possible for groups of 5 or more people.
The tour booking system can be used for pre-defined tour dates. The capacity of tours is limited.
The tour starts at the castle, entrance from Charles Square. The tour includes: the foundations of the original castle from the 12th century, the Lobkowicz castle and its history, a presentation of the town and its surroundings, a tasting of the wines of the Lobkowicz castle winery (2 samples á 1 dcl) and an introduction to the winery and its history in Podřipsko.
Admission includes a tour of the castle and the Romanesque castle tower Hláska.
The ticket office for the castle tour can be found in the new information centre (Arnoštova 88).